Wild Bird Treats
I love to make these wonderful bird treats in time to festoon my trees at Yule.
Peanut Butter Bird Balls
- muffin tins
- pipe cleaners
- 2 cups chunky peanut butter
- 2 cups vegetable shortening or suet
- 5 cups coarse yellow cornmeal
- small bag of bird seed
- raisins - small bag
- roasted shelled peanuts - small bag
- Mix peanut butter, suet and corn meal together.
- Stir in seeds fruit and nuts.
- Put mixture into muffin tins
- Sprinkle seeds on top.
- Put pipe cleaner into each muffin as a hanger
- Put in freezer
- Once hard hang from a tree.
- 2 loafs of whole grain bread
- Star or any Yule Cookie cutters
- Roll of ribbon (I think that raffia would be best)
- A cookie sheet to put the cookies on.
- Use cookie cutters to punch shapes in the bread.
- Use a pencil to poke a hole at the top of ornament for ribbon.
- Leave the bread out overnight to harden
- Hang on trees
Bagels for the Birds
- 2 bags of bagels (whole wheat, fruit etc)
- Peanut Butter
- Ribbon or raffia
1. Split bagels lengthwise and let them harden overnight
2. Tie lengths of ribbon through each bagel hole.
3. Spread peanut butter over both sides of each bagel slice
4. Sprinkle with birdseed.
5. Hang on trees.
· Cotton thread
· Sewing needles
· 4 bags of popped corn
· 2 large bags of peanuts in the shell
· 10 apples cut into chunks
· 4 bunches of grapes
· 4 bags of cranberries
· 8 oranges cut in thin slices
1. Using needles and thread string items together alternating items.
2. Drape over trees.